After finding out more about the first and second taps in Singapore, I did some research about the third tap, which is NEWater. Apparently, NEWater is produced from used water that is purified using advanced membrane technologies and ultra-violet disinfection, making it ultra-clean and safe to drink. There are 4 NEWater plants in Singapore, the latest and largest one was in Changi. I visited the visitor centre in the NEWater plant in Bedok to find out more about NEWater.
I have learned a lot from the visitor centre. I was able to witness on how NEWater is produced and I was able to taste NEWater. NEWater has a different taste to it, as nutrients are removed from the water, therefore it tastes different. Currently, NEWater produces 30% of Singapore's water supply. However, the government plans to increase it to 50% of Singapore's water supply in 2060.Here are a few advantages and disadvantages to NEWater.
- We are able to save more water as used water is recycled and purified to obtain clean water.
- We are able to be self-dependant. We do not need to rely on other countries for water.
- We will have a ready source of water at all times
- It is a long term solution for water scarcity
- Purifying used water is extremely expensive
- People do not like the taste of purified water as nutrients are removed.